Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A quick tale 135

One Sunday in March

She hears clutter in the kitchen. She tries to ignore it. Pots and pans being rattled about. She turns over in her bed, pulls a pillow over her ears. You sleep in today, he had insisted. I'll bring you breakfast in bed. She had resisted the idea but relented eventually. Now she tries to relax. By thinking of things pleasant. Does she smell something burning? She hopes he isn't boiling milk in the large red saucepan. Did he remember to pick up milk bottles from the doorstep as there wasn't any left in the fridge? She wished he wouldn't put the spoon back into the sugar pot after stirring his coffee with it. What was that bang? That definitely sounded expensive. Could it be, she dared to despair, her favourite Wedgewood teapot? Let it be Ikea, Ikea, she prayed. Presently she hears approaching footsteps. She feigns sleep, smiles with her eyes closed. You spoil me so....

14 comments:

Unknown said...

:)

Lost in trance... said...

sad template again! :)

nourish-n-cherish said...

You rock Ammani!! You have a way with words, and a brevity that is so appealing, yet never incomplete.

Anonymous said...

nice.

the template has to go. whats taking u so long?

karthik

Anonymous said...

thumbs down for the template.
not that you asked for a vote here ;-)

fire eater

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that i linked you on my blog so that more pple can read you. sigh. i love your quick tales - the fact that you can say so much in so little. :) you're my new favourite blog, btw.

s said...

Anantya's right, and I'd like to link you too. This piece was excellent.

The woman sounds a lot like my mom actually.

Sarah said...

tht woman sounds like me..but in my case it is my kids who wants to surprise me..and it is going to happen again on this sunday.. my poor cups and saucers!!!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely enjoyed the phrase of "does my bum look big in this" in your new template dress for your blog! :) I wish I had that sense of humor when people ask me to change! :) ...

Alien said...

Well, what strikes me the most in your words is the simplicity, lucidity and felicity to convey ideas that are often very complex in themselves.

Another thing in your words, I believe, is that one can relate to them very easily and when that happens, one finds it more endearing and tends to carry it with onself for a longer time..

Nice place to have come across.. do keep it coming

Anonymous said...

haha...LOL!

Munimma said...

ha ha, why does this sound familiar?

Anonymous said...

awww... perhaps it's the kid/s and not the husband? :)

Anonymous said...

hahahaha! Ouch! That hurts!